Friday, February 26, 2016

Importance of Playing with Other Musicians and on Stage


            When I started learning instruments I barely knew people who were also studying music.  That resulted in practicing by myself most of the time and don’t get me wrong! It was a lot of fun to learn how to play all my favorites songs in the guitar. I would sometimes meet with one of my friends that knew how to play guitar and jam with him that was pretty much it. I still felt that something was missing. I was when I came to USC to major in Music that I had the opportunity to play with other musicians in a band setting. That taught me many things that I consider very valuable. One of them is that music being shared with other people can be very magical and a truly unique and different experience than playing by yourself. The interaction you have with every member of the band is key, both in a personal way and musically. Learning to hear each other in order to lock in and not sound sloppy is a very important thing that only comes with practice. Another invaluable thing to take into account is to always be respectful to other members of the band in order to not cause chaos. Believe me, I’ve seen it happen many times and it can be very uncomfortable and just plain bad for everyone involved! Plying with other people is a great way to network. If they like how you play or even as a person, they will consider you for gigs or projects that might come up in the future. Being a respectful and good player will also result in getting some exposure of your name.
Playing on stage is another thing I got to do at USC. Before doing that I would only play in restaurants but that doesn’t have the same feeling since people are not going there for the music.

Playing on stage and and seeing people react to the music you are playing is an amazing thing that can’t really be put into words and you have to experience it once in your life if you are a musician. At first, it can be nerve-wracking and you will surely get nervous. I sure was nervous the first time I did it! Starting playing in small concerts or in front of your family and friends will build the confidence and stage presence that you will need once you have bigger concerts. Being on stage and seeing people enjoying my music is what got me to be a full-time musician and I haven’t stopped since.

No comments:

Post a Comment